Dates are incredibly nutritious and rich-flavoured fruits considered holy fruit in the middle east. The fruit holds the potential to cure several health issues and might bring your general health on a healthier track. India has more than 40 varieties of dates, and the possibilities are higher that we might have only encountered or consumed 3-5 of its varieties. From the long list of types of dates, there are a few you might love or some that suit your tastebuds. This happens as each date variety has a different texture, flavour and taste. Below we have listed the top khajoor types that are most loved and consumed. Check the list to know more about dates.
Top 15 Different Types of Dates Fruit With Images
Dates are labelled healthy food, packed with essential vitamins and minerals crucial for our body’s well-being. Despite the availability of various date varieties, it can take time to differentiate between them. The plus point is that everyone can afford this health booster as dates prices are not as high as other healthy foods and can be easily incorporated into a general lifestyle. In addition, below, we have discussed a few types of dates to help understand dates better, along with their respective images.
1. Medjool Dates
- Size: Medjool dates are huge and have a fibrous texture.
- Colour: Also it comes in reddish-brown.
- Origins: Medjool dates are cultivated in Morocco, Palestine, Jordan, and Saudi Arabia.
- Taste: They are soft and sweet.
- Texture – Comes with a soft and chewy texture
Also Read – Best Dates in India
- Size: Omani is one of the best varieties of dates, which are generally large in size.
- Colour: Omani dates are dark brown in colour.
- Origin: As the name suggests, it originates from Oman, Middle East.
- Taste: These are juicy and sweet in taste.
- Texture – Has smooth and little sticky texture.
Also Read: Benefits of Eating Dates
3. Piarom Dates
- Size: Piarom dates are long, thin, and oval, around 2 to 5 cm in size.
- Colour: Furthermore, they are semi-dried dates and have dark brown to black coloured skin.
- Origins: These are grown in the Persian Gulf and middle east areas.
- Taste: Piarom has a unique sweet taste, with toffee and caramel features.
- Texture – These dates have thin skin attached to their flesh
4. Deglet Nour Dates
- Size: Deglet Nour dates are medium-sized and narrow elongated oval shapes.
- Colour: Further, the colour of these dates is dark golden brown.
- Origins: Its origin is the oasis of Tolga and neighbouring areas of Biskra & Oued Righ in Algeria.
- Taste: Deglet dates are soft, meaty, and sweet.
- Texture – The dates come in a semi-dry, slightly crunchy texture
5. Mazafati Dates
- Size: Talking of different types of dates without mentioning Mazafati is not so fair. These are sized from 2.5 to 4 cm.
- Colour: These have soft dark brown coloured flesh.
- Origins: Moreover, mazafati dates originated from Bam, a city in Kerman, Iran.
- Taste: It has a soft taste of caramel, brown sugar, and chocolate.
- Texture – Comes with a soft and creamy texture.
6. Barhi Dates
- Size: Barhi dates are small, 2 to 3-4 cm in length and diameter, and have around to oval shape.
- Colour: Barhi dates are yellow.
- Origins: Its origin lies in Iraq.
- Taste: Barhi is the sweetest and creamiest date, which tastes like caramel, butterscotch, brown sugar, and syrup.
- Texture – Firm and dry texture
Also, Read Best Chia Seeds Brand
7. Thoory Dates
- Size: Thoory dates are sized from medium to large and are oblong in shape.
- Colour: Also, Thoory date is among the types of khajur, which has typical golden brown flesh.
- Origin: They are famous in Algeria.
- Taste: These are dry, semi-sweet, and peanut-like nutty flavours.
- Texture – These dates have a soft and chewy texture
8. Ameri Dates
- Size: The size of ameri dates ranges from 12-22 grams, with an oval and elongated shape.
- Colour: However, they are light to dark brown coloured.
- Origins: Ameri dates have their origins in Iraq.
- Taste: These are moderately sweet.
- Texture – Dayri dates are soft and heavy in texture
9. Dayri Dates
- Size: Dayri is the type of date sized from medium to large and has soft and red skin.
- Colour: After storage, when these dates ripen, their skin turns amber from red to golden brown.
- Origin: They originated from Iraq.
- Taste: Dayri dates are soft, heavy, and sweet in taste.
- Texture – Comes with a chewy texture and semi-dry texture.
10. Halawy Dates
- Size: Halawy is a small to medium date fruit with delicate and pale flesh.
- Colour: It has golden-brown skin.
- Origins: Halawy dates come from Mesopotamia.
- Taste: Also they are delighting, soft, and caramel-honey-like in taste.
- Texture – These dates have a chewy and soft texture
11. Khudri Dates
- Size: Khudri is one of the dates varieties that have flakes in the skin. It comes in both small and large sizes.
- Colour: These are dark brown with a few wrinkles on them.
- Origins: Khudri is cultivated in Saudi Arabia.
- Taste: These are moderately sweet, chewy, and do not much dry dates.
12. Zahidi Dates
- Size: Zahidi is also in our dates list, which is medium-sized and oval in shape.
- Colour: Also, they have light brown skin with thick, golden inner meat.
- Origins: It was cultivated in Northern Iraq.
- Taste: They are nutty dates that taste like peanut butter and some blend of dried apricots.
- Texture – Semi-dry texture
13. Safawi Dates
- Size: Safawi dates are medium-sized and round in shape.
- Colour: Safawi dates are dark black cherry in colour with slight brown in them.
- Origins: They grow in Madinah, Saudi Arabia.
- Taste: Safawi are sweeter than khudri dates.
- Texture – Dry texture with moisturise locked inside
- Size: Amber is the largest of all the famous Madinah dates.
- Colour: Moreover, these are amber-colour.
- Origins: Amber dates originate from the Madinah region of Saudi Arabia.
- Taste: These are soft and fleshy dry dates.
- Texture – Soft, dry and fibrous texture
15. Kalmi Dates
- Size: Also, kalmi is one of the variants of Safawi dates. They are small and cylindrical in size.
- Colour: Kalmi dates are black in colour.
- Origins: These types of khajoor are from Oman but cultivated in Madinah.
- Taste: Also, they are of the usual date flavour with enriched sweetness.
- Texture – Comes with a fine and soft texture.
Dates are delicious and nutritious fruit that is commonly found in the Middle Eastern and North African regions. Dates benefits can make you surprised reason of it is a factory of essential nutrients. The gems come in various forms, and each type has its unique taste, texture, and nutritional profile. Whether it’s the sweet, soft Medjool or the small, chewy, semi-dried Halawy, dates are one of the most nutritious additions to any diet. Whether eaten fresh, dried or processed into spreads and sweeteners, dates offer a wealth of health benefits, making them a versatile and wholesome food choice. Hope this blog helped, and from now you can identify each of them easily.