Dates are the sweet, chewy, and very healthy fruit which is majorly a staple food of middle east countries. However, they are consumed almost all over the world in the form of natural sweeteners used in smoothies, shakes, nutritional bars, bakery products, etc. Dates are highly beneficial as it has many vitamins and minerals which aids in good health. Moreover, many types of dates exist globally, but people are not aware of all those types. Thus, today we are taking you on a tour where you will get to know the list of dates name and the differences that lie in them.
Top 15 Different Types of Dates Fruit With Images
Dates are considered a nutritious superfood with impeccable health benefits to offer. You know the fact that dates have many variants. It’s no surprise to hear no as an answer because most people know there are dried and moist dates. But there are different types of dates with different health benefits to adding to the health. When asked to differentiate between the date varieties, one might fail to do so. We have mentioned a few of them to help you get familiar with the types of dates.
1. Medjool Dates
- Size: Medjool dates are huge and have a fibrous texture.
- Colour: Also it comes in reddish-brown.
- Origins: Medjool dates are cultivated in Morocco, Palestine, Jordan, and Saudi Arabia.
- Taste: They are soft and sweet.
- Size: Omani is one of the best varieties of dates which are generally large in size.
- Colour: Omani dates are dark brown in colour.
- Origin: As the name itself suggests that it originates from Oman, Middle East.
- Taste: These are juicy and sweet in taste.
Also Read: Benefits of Eating Dates
3. Piarom Dates
- Size: Piarom dates are long, thin, and oval, which count around 2 to 5 cm in size.
- Colour: Furthermore, they are semi-dried dates and have dark brown to black coloured skin.
- Origins: These are grown in the Persian Gulf and middle east areas.
- Taste: Piarom has a unique sweet taste, with toffee and caramel features.
4. Deglet Nour Dates
- Size: Deglet Nour dates are medium-sized and narrow elongated oval shapes.
- Colour: Further, the colour of these dates is dark golden brown.
- Origins: Its origin is the oasis of Tolga and neighbouring areas of Biskra & Oued Righ in Algeria.
- Taste: Deglet dates are soft, meaty, and sweet.
5. Mazafati Dates
- Size: Talking of different types of dates without mentioning Mazafati is not so fair. These are sized from 2.5 to 4 cm.
- Colour: These have soft dark brown coloured flesh.
- Origins: Moreover, mazafati dates originated from Bam, a city in Kerman, Iran.
- Taste: It has a soft taste of caramel, brown sugar, and chocolate.
6. Barhi Dates
- Size: Barhi dates are small, 2 to 3-4 cm in length and diameter, and have around to oval shape.
- Colour: Barhi dates are yellow.
- Origins: Its origin lies in Iraq.
- Taste: Barhi is the sweetest and creamiest date, which also somewhat tastes like caramel, butterscotch, brown sugar, and syrup.
Also Read Best Chia Seeds Brand
7. Thoory Dates
- Size: Thoory dates are sized from medium to large and are oblong in shape.
- Colour: Also, Thoory date is among the types of khajur, which has typical golden brown flesh.
- Origin: They are famous in Algeria.
- Taste: These are pretty dry, semi-sweet, and have a peanut-like nutty flavour.
8. Ameri Dates
- Size: The size of ameri dates ranges from 12-22 grams, with an oval and elongated shape.
- Colour: However, they are light to dark brown coloured.
- Origins: Ameri dates have their origins in Iraq.
- Taste: These are moderately sweet.
9. Dayri Dates
- Size: Dayri is the type of dates that are sized from medium to large and has soft and red skin.
- Colour: When these dates ripen, their skin turns amber from red and golden brown after being stored.
- Origin: They originated from Iraq.
- Taste: Dayri dates are soft, heavy, and sweet in taste.
10. Halawy Dates
- Size: Moreover, Halawy is a small to medium date fruit whose flesh is delicate and pale.
- Colour: It has golden-brown skin.
- Origins: Halawy dates come from Mesopotamia.
- Taste: Also, they are delighting, soft, and caramel-honey-like in taste.
11. Khudri Dates
- Size: Khudri is one of the dates varieties that have flakes in the skin. It comes in both small and large sizes.
- Colour: These are dark brown in colour with not many wrinkles on them.
- Origins: Khudri is cultivated in Saudi Arabia.
- Taste: These are moderately sweet, chewy, and do not much dry dates.
12. Zahidi Dates
- Size: Zahidi is also in our dates list, which is medium-sized and oval in shape.
- Colour: Also, they have light brown skin with thick, golden inner meat.
- Origins: It was cultivated in Northern Iraq.
- Taste: They are nutty dates that taste like peanut butter and some blend of dried apricots.
13. Safawi Dates
- Size: Safawi dates are medium-sized and round in shape.
- Colour: Safawi dates are dark black cherry in colour with slight brown in them.
- Origins: They grow in Madinah, Saudi Arabia.
- Taste: Safawi are sweeter than khudri dates.
- Size: Amber is the largest of all the famous Madinah dates.
- Colour: Moreover, these are amber-colour.
- Origins: Amber dates originate from the Madinah region of Saudi Arabia.
- Taste: These are soft and fleshy dry dates.
15. Kalmi Dates
- Size: Also, kalmi is one of the variants of Safawi dates. They are small and cylindrical in size.
- Colour: Kalmi dates are black in colour.
- Origins: These types of khajoor are from Oman but cultivated in Madinah.
- Taste: Also, they are of the usual date flavour with enriched sweetness.