Holi is a festival of colors. Delicious food is an integral part of the holi festivities. This festival marks the victory of good over evil. No holi celebration is complete without some delectable food. Let’s have a look at some delicious traditional holi recipes.
10 Healthy Holi Recipes
Holi is a celebration of colors and happiness. Food makes a critical part of the festivities. We are here to add some color to your holi festivities! Let’s have some delicious food to celebrate this holy occasion. Let’s look at some holi special recipes to delight your taste buds!
1. Til Mawa Ladoo
It’s a popular khoya snack that is loved by all. Many people especially made for festivities. Til mawa laddo is one of the most popular holi special sweets. Let’s have a look at the recipe!
- Preparation Time:- 11 Minutes
- Cook Time:- 30 Minutes
- Total Time:- 41 Minutes
- Til / Sesame Seeds – 500 g
- Khoya / Mawa – 500 g
- Cardamom Powder – 2 teaspoon
- Powdered Sugar – 400 g
- Almonds – ¼ cup
- Cashew Nuts – ¼ cup
- Ghee ( to apply on the hand)
- Heat the pan and dry roast the til until it’s slightly brown.
- Remove them and now keep them on a plate.
- Grind the seed in a blender.
- Heat the mawa in the pan & cook for 5 -6 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the flame
- Add the powder sugar, til powder, almonds, cashew nuts, cardamom powder & mix them well.
- Grease your palms with some ghee and take a small portion of the mixture. Make them in the circular shape of ladoos
- Store them and enjoy!
2. Dahi Puri
It’s a very famous dairy recipe. It’s spicy and full of zingy flavor. Eating dahi puri makes a spicy addition to the holi celebration.
- Preparation Time:- 20 Minutes
- Cook Time:- 10 Minutes
- Total Time:- 30 Minutes
Servings:- 6 Peoples
- Pomegranate seeds – ¼ cup
- Fresh coriander – 2 tablespoon
- Sweet tamarind chutney – ¼ cup
- Mint and coriander chutney – ¼ cup
- Red chili powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Roasted cumin powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Chaat masala – ½ teaspoon
- Salt – ½ teaspoon
- Boiled whole moong – ¼ cup
- Boiled black gram – ½ cup
- Boiled potatoes – ½ cup
- Golgappa Puri – 30-40
- Ginger Juice – ½ teaspoon
- Sugar – 1 teaspoon
- Yogurt – 1 cup
- Pass some fresh yogurt through a steel strainer.
- Add sugar & ginger juice together. Mix them till the sugar dissolves properly.
- Take a bowl & mix some chaat masala, roasted cumin powder, and red chili powder
- Now, arrange some golgappas on a plate.
- Make a small hole in the golgappas
- Fill some boiled potato, black gram, and moong in the gol gappas.
- Add some yogurt on the top.
- Sprinkle in some chat masala to add some spice.
- Drizzles some mint, tamarind, and coriander chutney on the top of your chaat
- Seve and enjoy!
3. Kesari Thandai
Thandai is a super popular drink during the holi festivities. Kesari thandai is very popular. Let’s have a look at our easy-to-make thandai recipe.
- Preparation Time:- 10 Minutes
- Cook Time:- 10 Minutes
- Total Time:- 20 Minutes
Servings 4 People
- Cashew nuts – 10-12
- Black peppercorns – 25-30
- Raisins – 10-12
- green cardamoms – 10-12
- fennel seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Almonds – 10-12
- Saffron – 1 pinch
- whole milk – 4 cups
- granulated sugar – ¼ cup
- rose water – ½ teaspoon
- Add some cashews, almonds, raisins, black peppercorns, green cardamoms, melon seeds, fennel seeds, and saffron into a bowl.
- Now add ½ cup of water. Cover the bowl and soak it for 5 – 6 overnight.
- Add these ingredients into a blender and blend them well.
- Heat some milk on medium heat. Stir the milk frequently
- Add the paste, sugar, and some rose water when the milk is boiling.
- Cook well for 2 – 3 minutes more.
- Now, refrigerate the milk for 3 -4 hours.
- Now, pass the milk through a steel strainer.
- Pour the thandai drink into the serving glass and serve them well.
Gujiya is a traditional sweet beverage that is super delicious. It’s a must-have on holi occasions. Let’s have a look at the holi gujiya recipe! We are sure it will tingle your sweet tooth!
Also Read:- How To Reduce Bloating Quickly?
- Maida – 4 cups
- Ghee – ½ cup
For the Filing
- Khoya – 200 g
- Dry Coconut – 2 cups
- Chironji – ½ cup
- Raisins – ½ cup
- Powdered Sugar – 200 g
- Cardamom powder – 2 teaspoon
For the Dough
Break the khoya into small pieces and fry it till it’s pink. Let it cool, add some coconut, chironji, raisins, caster sugar, and cardamom powder. Mix them all well.
Mix maida and water into a bowl.
To Make Gujiya
- Knead the dough properly.
- Divide the dough into small pieces.
- Roll the piece into a small disc.
- Keep the disc on a plate with a damp cloth.
- Keep the rolled disc inside the gujiya mold and fill it with 1 and ½ teaspoons of filling.
- Apply the sealant to seal the dough properly.
- Now, remove the made dough.
- Make all the gujiyas.
- Heat the ghee in a pan.
- Fry the gujiya till golden brown.
- Serve them well.
5. Beetroot Halwa
Beetroot halwa is a delicious and delectable dessert. It’s made for special occasions. So let’s dive deep and have these scrumptious holi snacks.
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 1 Hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
6. Holi Cake
No festivities can be celebrated without some delightful and yummy cake! So we are here to delight your taste buds with a special holi cake recipe! Let’s have a look at it!
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 45 Minutes
Total Time: 1 Hour
Servings:- 10 People
- All-purpose flour – 1 cup
- Baking powder – 1 teaspoon
- Baking soda – ½ teaspoon
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Eggs – 3
- Butter – ½ cup
- Vanilla extract – 1 teaspoon
For Soaking Syrup
- Water – ½ cup
- Sugar – ½ cup
- Vanilla extract – 1 teaspoon
- Keep the oven preheated to 180 c.
- Grease well an 8” oven tray.
- Mix baking soda, all-purpose flour, and baking powder together.
- Add egg and sugar together till it’s thoroughly combined. (2 – 3 minutes)
- Now, add butter to the mix & whisk well
- Add flour & vanilla extract and mix them well.
- Divide the batter into 4 equal separate parts and mix them well.
- Add one food coloring in each bowl of batter.
- Pour the batter together.
- Bake for 30 – 35 minutes
- Let the cake cool in a pan for a few minutes.
Instructions For Soaking Syrup
- Mix some water, some sugar, and vanilla extract together and mix them well.
- Now, drizzle some soaking syrup on top of the cake and enjoy!
7. Methi Mathri
While it has an exciting name, it is a delightful snack. On our delicious list of holi dishes it makes it’s presence known. It’s super yummy and will be a clear winner in your quest to first find the ultimate snack for the holi celebration. Let us have a brief look at the recipe.
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time :- 40 Minutes
Total Time:- 50 Minutes
- Maida/ All purpose flour – 2 cups
- Sooji/ Semolina – 1 teaspoon
- Kasuri Methi – 2 tablespoon
- Salt – 2 teaspoon
- Ajwain/ Carom seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Cooking Oil – ¼ cups
- Warm water – For kneading purposes
- Add some maida, sooji, methi, ajwain & salt & ¼ cup of cooking oil together.
- Now, add some warm water to knead the dough properly.
- Cover the dough and keep it aside for 10 minutes.
- Take small pieces of dough & press them between your palms to flatten them slightly.
- Roll the dough with a rolling pin.
- Now it’s time to bring in some heat! First, heat the oil in a pan.
- When the oil is boiling, add the mathri to it.
- Fry them in small batches to avoid overloading the oil.
- It will take approximately 15 – 20 minutes to fry one batch.
- Remove the excess oil from mathri with some tissue paper.
- Let them cool and serve them!
8. Badam Kheer
This holi special dish has a special place in our hearts and brings back childhood memories. So let’s have a look at our twist on the badam kheer recipe!
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time :- 30 Minutes
Total Time:- 40 Minutes
Servings: 4 People
- Almonds – ½ cup
- whole (full-fat) milk – 1 liter
- Saffron – 10-15 strands
- Sugar – ¼ cup
- cardamom powder – ½ teaspoon
- Soak the almonds in 1 cup of water for 5 -6 hours.
- Peel the skin off of almonds. Now, add them into a blend with some milk.
- Blend to make a fine paste.
- Now, add the remaining milk to a pan and bring it to a boil on a medium heat. Keep stirring to avoid it scorching.
- Once the milk is boiled, reduce the heat and add some saffrons to it.
- Now, add the almond paste and keep stirring.
- The consistency should be like custard.
- Garnish the kheer with some almonds & pistachios and some rose petals.
- Kheer is ready!
Peda is a delightfully popular Indian sweet dish. It is a must-have in almost all Indian festivities. A secret: It’s super easy to make! Isn’t it awesome? Let’s have a quick look at the recipe.
Prep Time:- 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 40 Minutes
Total Time: 50 Minutes
Servings: 24 pieces
- Milk powder – 2 cups
- Condensed milk – 400 g
- Cream – 100 ml
- Ghee – 1 tablespoon
- Cardamom powder – 1 teaspoon
- Saffron – 1 pinch
- Milk – 1 tablespoon
- Soak some saffron in milk.
- Take some milk powder, condensed milk & cream and pour it into a pan. Avoid any lumps.
- Heat the pan in a medium heat and now, add some ghee, soaked saffron, and cardamom powder.
- Cook the mixture properly. Keep stirring continuously.
- Remove the pan and let the mixture cool for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Make small bite-sized balls from it and store them in a refrigerator.
- Store them in the refrigerator for 2 – 3 days.
- Now, serve them on holi!
10. Besan Halwa
Besan Halwa is a yummy sweet dish that lightens up any festive occasion. It’s a super popular Punjabi dish. Furthermore, it’s super quick to make and can be enjoyed by all!
Prep Time:- 5 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
Total Time:– 25 Minutes
Servings: 6 People
- Add ½ cup of ghee to a pan. Once the ghee is slightly melted, add chickpea flour.
- Fry it on medium heat until golden brown, and you smell a nutty aroma.
- Keep stirring continuously to avoid burning.
- Once the chickpea is done, add some water milk, and cook until they are absorbed well by the flour. Keep stirring.
- Now, it’s time to add the flavor! Add some sugar ( according to your taste), cardamom powder to a pan. Mix them well & cook for at least 5 – 6 minutes on low heat.
- Now, it’s done. Garnish the halwa with some almonds & pistachios and serve it hot!
Holi is a unique celebration that is filled with lovely colors. We are here to bring in savory food and aroma to the celebrations! Some delightful holi recipes are – Badam kheer, Gujiya, Dahi puri, etc. Try some of these to add vibrance to your holi festivities!