No products in the cart.
The ketogenic or keto diet is a diet that promotes eating low carb and high fat. Since the diet is all about reducing carbs drastically and replacing it with fat, the body enters into a metabolic state known as ketosis. In ketosis state, the body becomes metabolically super active and burns fat for energy. Simultaneously, it also produces ketone bodies in the liver that supplies energy.
There are several variations in ketogenic diet, depending upon the amount of carb, protein, and fat you are allowed to eat. For example, in the standard ketogenic diet, you are allowed to eat very low carb, moderate protein, and high portions of fat. In a high protein ketogenic diet, you are allowed to eat more protein as compared to the standard ketogenic diet. If you are following a targeted ketogenic diet, then you have slight relaxations on carb intake while working out.
If you are just starting with the keto diet, then the most common question that might be lingering in your mind is which food you are allowed to eat? Be assured, you are not alone. This is the most common question we come across from people who are starting on the keto diet. Hence, we have curated a list of foods to eat on a keto diet. Hope you find this useful.
A general list of foods – Ensure a significant portion of your meals include
- Nuts and seeds
- Low carb vegetables like tomato, onion, and any green vegetables
- Salt and pepper or herbs for seasoning
- Unprocessed cheese
- Extra virgin olive oil and cold-pressed coconut oil are healthy and allowed to increase in your diet
The ketogenic diet for diabetics
- Avocado, bacon, and eggs
- Salad with low carb dressing like ranch
- Keep it simple and avoid convenience foods
The ketogenic diet for vegans
If you are a vegan and on a ketogenic diet, you have further restrictions on food that you can eat. You need to be creative with your recipes. Some of the ingredients that you may try:
- Berries, coconut, and avocado
- Low carb vegetables like cauliflower, capsicum, broccoli, dark leafy vegetables
- Plant milk
- Coffee and tea without milk and sugar
- Different nuts and seeds including pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, cashews, hemp seeds, walnuts, almonds, flax seeds, chia seeds, etc.
The ketogenic diet for vegetarians
- No starchy vegetables
- Proteins like tofu, spirulina, nutritional yeast
- Low carb fruits in moderation
- Nuts are allowed and you can have almonds, cashews, pistachios, etc
- Full-fat dairy products including milk, unprocessed cheese, and yoghurt
- Derive your healthy fats from sources like olive oil, coconut oil, avocado, and avocado oil
- Chia, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds
- Peanut butter, almond butter, hazelnut butter
Food to avoid
- Any sugary foods like soda, ice cream, smoothies, cake, fruit juice are strict no in the keto diet.
- Grains and starches are not permitted as they are high in carbs and keto aims to cut down on carbs.
- Although keto promotes fat food, unhealthy fat like processed vegetable oil, mayonnaise, etc. are not allowed.