Moringa Oleifera is a plant that is also known as a miracle tree that has its own medicinal properties. Its leaves, flowers, seeds, and roots are rich in various nutrients, antioxidants, and bioactive plant compounds that can serve various health benefits. This food supplement is used as a natural remedy for several common health conditions, even science has backed moringa benefits.
Credit for the benefits of any food product goes to its nutritional value. It will make you understand that this one plant contains almost all essential nutrients and antioxidants.
Moringa Nutritional Value
|Protein||9.4 grams (19% of Daily Value)|
|Vitamin C||165 mg|
|Vitamin A||758 ¼ grams|
|Vitamin B6||19% of Daily Value|
|Iron||4 mg (22% of Daily Value)|
Moringa Nutritional Facts
- Contain 4 times calcium than an equal amount of milk.
- Twice the protein as compared to banana.
- Moringa tree contains 92 nutrien
- ts and 46 antioxidants.
- Have more Vitamin C than 7 oranges.
- It is a better source of iron than spinach.
- It contains 9 essential and non-essential amino acids.
15 Moringa Benefits
1. May Help in Lowering Blood Sugar
High blood sugar level increases the risk of diabetes and various other health problems. A study has found that regular consumption of moringa powder benefits in reducing fasting blood sugar levels.
2. Can Reduce Inflammation
If inflammation continuous for a longer period of time, it can lead to many serious health problems. Moringa contains isothiocyanates that is an anti-inflammatory compound and can reduce inflammation to an extent.
You might like: Ashwagandha Benefits and Side Effects
3. Moringa for Skin Protection
Being rich in Vitamin C, moringa boost collagen, and reduces wrinkles and fine lines. Moringa oil contains antibacterial, antioxidants, and nourishing properties that are essential for skin care, this is the reason it is used in various skincare products.
4. Might Reduce Cholesterol
High cholesterol can lead to various heart diseases, but fortunately moringa benefits in reducing bad cholesterol preventing you from heart problems.
5. May Reduce the Effect of Arsenic Toxicity
Arsenic contamination is noted in various parts of the world, especially in rice crops. Long-term consumption of arsenic-contaminated food or water can put your health at risk. However, studies have shown that moringa can reduce arsenic toxicity effect.
Also Read: Wheatgrass Benefits & Nutritional Value
6. Moringa Powder for Weight Loss
If weight loss is your health goal, then moringa can be your companion in achieving this goal. Moringa weight loss properties don’t allow fat formation in the body, and consumption of moringa tea or leaves can improve fat breakdown.
7. Protect the Liver
The liver can easily get damaged by the anti-tubercular drug, and moringa can prevent such damage and even speed up the repair process if it’s already damaged.
8. Combat Infection
Moringa contains anti-bacterial, antifungal, and anti-microbial properties that make it capable of fighting against certain infections, especially those which are caused by salmonella, E. coli, and rhizopus.
You might like: Aloe Vera Juice Benefits
9. Moringa for Hair Health
Moringa is a powerhouse of minerals and antioxidants that are essential for hair growth. The hydrating and detoxifying qualities of moringa repair hair damage, strengthen your hair, and boost hair growth. The fatty acids offer deep moisturizing to your hair.
10. Could Treat Asthma
Another moringa health benefit is that it can reduce the effect of an asthma attack and can improve the overall functioning of the lung. Some even claim it to be a protective agent against bronchial constrictions.
11. Protection Against Kidney Disorder
Thanks to the antioxidants present in moringa that aids in reducing the toxicity level in the kidney. Regular intake of moringa can prevent kidney, bladder, or uterus stones.
12. Improve Eye Health
Studies have found that flavonoids present in moringa extracts can stop or control the development of cataracts. It is also a good source of beta-carotene, lutein, and zeaxanthin, which are known to be beneficial for eye health.
13. Benefits for Men (Improves Penile Blood Flow)
Moringa may offer several benefits specifically for men such as it improves penile blood flow and alleviates erectile dysfunction. The antioxidants present in moringa leaves also improve sperm count and motility.
14. Reduce Fatigue and Tiredness
A single serving of moringa powder contains 32.2% iron of daily requirement which is known to reduce tiredness and fatigue. Moringa also contains 18.9% of Vitamin A of Daily value that improves the metabolism and boosts energy.
15. Improves Muscle Growth
These drumsticks include 9 essential amino acids making them a perfect source of protein. Unlike most plant products, it has 25% of the protein that ensures muscle growth and helps in maintaining muscle mass. It can be a great source of protein for vegans and vegetarians.
- Moringa is being used as a medicine to treat various health problems including anemia, malnutrition, joint pain, constipation, diabetes, stomach issues, headache, heart problems, and much more.
- It is also used as a nutritional supplement.
- Moringa seeds are usually used for stabilizing blood sugar and improving sleep patter.
- Whereas moringa oil is used for hair and skin products.
Mostly, people consume moringa leaves in the form of powder or capsules to fulfill their nutritional needs and improve overall health. Many people wonder how to use moringa powder. There is no special recipe for moringa, you can add 1-2 tablespoons of moringa to any dish or drink to get its benefits.
Moringa Side Effects
There is no doubt in it that moringa powder uses can make your life better, but one should always consult with their doctor before including moringa in their regular diet.
- Moringa has anti-fertility properties and can also cause the uterus to contract which is why it is not appropriate for pregnant ladies, especially do not to eat moringa bark and pulp.
- It is also not considered safe for children, thus, you must keep it away from them.
- Moringa is also known to increase breast milk. However, it is considered safe for breastfeeding mothers, but there is no proof of it being safe for the infant. Nursing mothers should avoid it to be on a safer side.
- Apart from this, moringa might be not good for those who are already taking medication for diabetes, high blood pressure, and thyroid as in combination with other medicines, it might not work as expected.
Consult with your doctor if you are on any medication to avoid any moringa side effects.
Moringa is overall a health supplement that offers various health benefits and fulfills our daily nutritional requirements. However, only a few of its benefits are scientifically proven, and most of the researches is conducted on animals. Thus, we need more research and proof to claim its health benefit. Apart from pregnant women, children, people on any special medication, moringa is absolutely safe to use. But it is always wise to consult the doctor before consuming it.