No products in the cart.
A popular choice for a healthy breakfast, lunch, or dinner is dosa. It is a dish that is loved by all and takes absolutely no time to whip up. The moment you eat dosa, the flavours of South India explode in your mouth and leave you with an aftertaste like no other. However, one alternative to regular dosa, popularly known as ragi dosa, is a dish that not a lot of people know about. Not only does it make for a scrumptious meal, but it is also healthier than the regular dosa.
Unlike the traditional recipe, Ragi Dosa doesn’t contain the refined flour (also known as Maida), which makes this ragi dosa recipe a much healthier option. Ragi Dosa is made from finger millet, which contains a high nutritional value (protein, fibre, carbs, etc.). Ragi Dosa, besides taking your taste buds for a ride through a whirlwind of flavours, provides the body with a high content of calcium that helps strengthen bones and in their development.
Table of Contents
Ragi Dosa Recipe: New and Healthy
Today, we shall be looking at how to make ragi dosa with oats. It is basically a ragi dosa recipe that you can make with great ease. We have provided a detailed ingredient list and a step-by-step procedure of how to make the dish as well. The instructions are as follows:
Without the right ingredients, you will never be able to figure out how to make ragi dosa. These are the ingredients:
- ½ cup of ragi flour (it can be Nagli or Finger Millet)
- ¼ cup of oatmeal or instant oats
- ¼ cup of rice flour
- ¼ cup of Rava (also known as sooji or semolina)
- 3 ½ cups of water
- 2 green chilies finely chopped up
- 1 inch of grated garlic
- ½ teaspoon of crushed and mashed Whole Black Peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon of jeer (also commonly referred to as Cumin powder
- 2 sprig dhania leaves or Coriander that is finely chopped up
- Salt (add according to taste)
- Ghee (it will provide the base for cooking the dosa)
This is the final ingredients list that you need to have ready if you want to know how to prepare ragi dosa.
RECIPE – A Step-by-Step Explanation of How to Make the Ragi Dosa
Once you have the ingredients prepared as per the instructions mentioned above, you will need to follow the steps mentioned below to get know how to prepare ragi dosa:
1. In the first step of this instant ragi dosa recipe, you will need to mix the semolina, rice flour (you can find flour online), ragi, and salt in a big bowl. Then, you will need to pour 3 cups of water into the bowl and stir the mixture till it becomes rich and thick. Once you get the thick mixture, you need to let it rest for about 10 minutes.
2. Then, you will need to add the rest of the ingredients to the mixture. This includes grated ginger, chopped coriander leaves, peppercorns, chopped green chillies, and cumin seeds. After adding them, stir them well and make sure they all mix well together.
3. Then, once the mixture is ready, you will need to add the rest of the ½ cup of water to the mixture to get a thinner mixture that is more pourable. The mixture will be thinner than pancake batter.
4. Thinner the batter, the more consistently and uniformly it spreads across the skillet. It makes holes in the batter poured and makes the dosa crispy. This is a crucial tip for the instant ragi dosa recipe.
5. Then, get a skillet or a Tawa and heat it at high temperatures. Make sure that the Tawa or the skillet is really hot. To test it out, sprinkle some water on its surface. If the water sprinkles, then the Tawa is heated enough.
6. Then, you will need to pour just a ladle of the batter onto the surface of the tawa or skittle. Make sure that you start pouring from the edges. The mixture will spread by itself and will form holes. Also, make sure that when you are pouring the mixture, you do it from a considerable height. As and when the holes or gaps pop up, you can pour in the batter to fill the holes. However, you can leave out a few holes in the mixture.
7. Once you have done that, you would want to turn the heat down to a medium level and let it cook slowly and more uniformly. This will prevent the ragi flour dosa from getting burnt more than needed and will also make it crispier (the slower it cooks, the crispier the dosa gets).
8. Then pour around ½ a teaspoon of ghee all around the batter and let the dosa cook for around 3 minutes or so. Do not increase the heat. Medium heat will allow the ghee to cook the dosa batter nicely.
9. Once the side being cooked is crispy and golden-brown in colour, flip the dosa over and allow it to cook for another minute or so. The dosa will be thin and crispy by now and will have a nice brown and golden hue to it.
10. Make sure you scoop the ragi flour dosa with Skillet from the below and take it off hot from the skillet.
11. It is now ready to be served with some yogurt or chutney of your choice.
Follow the aforementioned steps to get a scrumptious and delightful ragi dosa.
Benefits of Ragi Dosa
Here are some of the lesser-known benefits of consuming ragi dosa:
- Supplies the body with the essential amino acids
- Helps improve the bone density of our body
- Helps regulate the blood sugar levels and keep them in check
- Helps in the treatment of Anemia
- It is really beneficial for improving the health of the heart
- Boosts the overall functioning of the brain and the nervous system
- It has a lot of benefits when it comes to pregnancy and lactation
- It provides remedies to Irritable Bowel Syndromes amongst children
Ragi Dosa is a healthier alternative to regular dosa, but if you think whipping up ragi dosa is a hassle or might not be as delicious as regular dosa, then you could not be more wrong. Try the recipe mentioned above today, and see the difference for yourself.