Rice is a staple food in Asian culture. It is the leftover water after the rice is soaked. Not to mention, there are many exciting rice water benefits for the skin and hair. It is an ancient beauty secret, and now we’re here to reveal everything about it! So, read on to understand more about this beautiful elixir!
Best 5 Health Benefits of Rice Water
Rice water is a popular beauty ingredient in Asian culture. It is an effective home remedy that can give you glowing skin and shiny hair. But, did you know that the earliest known use of rice water was about 1000 years ago? Now, that’s exciting! So let’s look at some benefits of drinking rice water
1. It Is Good For Digestion
Rice water is loaded with abundant nutrition that aids in digestion. Furthermore, it is rich in electrolytes that can balance the electrolytes in the body.
2. Rice Water Good For Skin
Rice provides many benefits for the skin. It has active starch, vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Kojic acid, and antioxidant content. These compounds make the use of rice water for skin an excellent choice.
Effective For Sunburns & Skin Inflammations:-
- Active starch content in it forms a protective layer around the epidermis and also it is soothing to the skin.
Skin Brightening Properties:-
- Kojic acid compound found in fermented rice has a substantial impact on melanin production.
Remedy For Eczema:-
- starch barrier in rice water retains skin moisture, which is essential in eczema treatment.
Good For Acne & Dry Skin:-
Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E ferulic acid, and allantoin are necessary for healthy skin.
3. Improved Eye Health
The benefits of drinking rice water include better eye health. The antioxidant compound present in it protects the eyes from oxidative stress. Thus, improving ocular health.
Also Read:- Different Types of Rice
4. Benefits Of Rice Water On Hair
Promotes Hair Growth:-
- Folic acid, selenium, and niacin seep deep into the hair follicles. Therefore, regularly applying on hair can make your hair longer!
Prevents Hair Damages:-
- Antioxidation and active amino acid content protect the hair from oxidative stress damage.
Improved Hair Elasticity:-
- Inositol compound improves hair strength and elasticity. Therefore, making hair thicker and more robust!
- Vitamin E provides nourishment and natural shine to the hair. Accordingly, using rice water for hair brings a fantastic shine.
5. Rice Water Benefits For Face
If you are wondering, is rice water good for the face? Then the answer is – Yes! It is rich in antioxidants, minerals, and protein. Furthermore, one can easily incorporate rice water in their daily skincare routine for healthy, radiant skin.
Face Toning Action
- It removes excess impurities and grimes from the skin surface. Furthermore, it is natural and chemical-free.
Anti Aging Powers
- It can impede the action of enzyme elastase. This enzyme is linked with skin aging. Hence, rice water has anti-aging properties.
Also Read:- Brown Rice Vs White Rice Differences
Rice Water Side Effects
Although rice water offers phenomenal benefits. Unfortunately, excessive usage of it can do more harm than good. So, If you are considering there are many side effects of rice water treatment that you should keep in mind.
1. It Can Cause Weight Gain
Using rice water for drinking can cause weight gain due to its high starch content.
2. Side Effects Of Rice Water On Hair
While rice water can be very beneficial for hair health. But, unmoderated use of it can cause lots of issues. Its active starch and arsenic content can be harmful. Therefore, it is important that one use rice water in appropriate amounts.
Rice Water Has Arsenic
- Arsenic is a toxic compound that can cause muscle cramping, extreme abdominal pain, vomiting, and diarrhea.
It Can Make Your Hair Smell Bad
- Starch is the breeding ground for bacteria. Therefore, keeping rice water on your hair for longer periods can make your hair smell bad.
It Can Have Damaging Effect On Dry Scalp
- Excessive use of rice water on hair can cause protein build-up on the scalp. Eventually, these proteins harden and cause dryness.
Rice Water Side Effects for Skin
Rice water can be a miracle elixir for the skin. However, it is important that one use rice water in moderation on the skin. Proper care should be taken care of for healthy skin.
Detrimental For People Allergic To Rice
- People who are allergic to rice can develop skin rashes, hives, and swollen skin.
Can Cause Infection On Open Wound
- It is best to avoid using rice water on an open wound. As it contains starch, it can promote unwanted microbial growth.
Excessive Usage Can Cause Dry Skin
- Excessive usage of rice water on skin can cause dryness in skin. Therefore, it should be used in moderation.
Rice water can be very beneficial for skin and hair health. Regular use can have hydrating and anti-aging effects. Additionally, it is also effective in the treatment of acne and eczema. Rice water treatment is a good option if you want stronger, shinier hair. Unfortunately, excessive usage can cause dry skin, frizzy & dry hair, arsenic poisoning, etc. Therefore, proper care and precautions should be taken when using this ancient beauty secret!