Wheat bran is the outer layer of wheat grain kernels and is extracted in the milling process. It tastes nutty and sweet. Bran has different uses due to its high nutritional values, like it is a rich source of dietary fiber, manganese, and vitamins. In addition, there are various wheat bran benefits that you might not have known before. Wheat bran is an essential ingredient used in many bowls of cereal, oats, muffins, etc. Nonetheless, wheat brans are famous for being a healthy ingredient because of their countless benefits, nutrition facts, and many uses. So, let’s peep into them to know it better.
Wheat Bran Benefits
Let us count on the wheat bran health benefits you might not have known until now and only use it blindly. Moreover, wheat bran has been in use for long years ago. But our grandparents must have been using it for different purposes and various reasons, and now we might be using it in other ways and for other reasons.
Also Read: Sesame Oil Benefits
1. Promotes Healthy Digestion
Wheat bran is a condensed source of insoluble fiber, which helps in greasy stools through the colon. It prevents constipation and keeps the stomach cleansed and detoxified. It even reduces digestive problems like bloating and discomfort. Its good content of prebiotics also acts as a source of food for good gut bacteria.
2. Good for Heart Health
As we know that high-fiber foods help decrease heart risks & diseases. And some of the studies have concluded that consuming wheat bran has shown symptoms of reduced levels of bad cholesterol (LDL) and triglycerides associated with elevating heart risks.
Also Read: Bad and Good Cholesterol
3. Lowers Down Blood Pressures
Wheat bran is rich in healthy nutrients like fiber, potassium, magnesium, folate, iron, and selenium. And thus, these heart-healthy nutrients can work together to help lower your high blood pressure levels.
4. Weight Management
Consuming fiber foods makes you feel full and satiated, which keeps you away from munching all day and eating unnecessary carbs or fats. It indirectly saves you from unwanted kilos into your belly.
Also Read: Olive Oil Benefits
5. Treats Irritable Bowel Syndrome
It indeed is one of the best wheat bran benefits you can add to your diet. The nutrients in wheat bran, like fiber and manganese, are beneficial in keeping the digestion and bowel system in harmony. It also keeps our metabolism at a good pace.
Wheat Bran Nutrition Facts
Here we have provided you with wheat bran nutritional value per 100g–
- Wheat Bran Calories- 216 KJ
- Carbohydrates- 65 gram
- Proteins- 29 gram
- Dietary fiber- 43 gram
- Magnesium- 611 mg
- Vitamin B6- 1.3 mg
- Iron- 10.6 mg
- Potassium- 1,182 mg
- Calcium- 73.0 mg
- Selenium- 77.6 mcg
- Omega-3- 2039 mg
Wheat Bran Uses
Wheat bran can be added to many food products and recipes. It includes baked goods, hot and cold cereals, smoothies, salads, pancakes, etc. You’ll find that it adds a sweet, nutty flavor to the recipes.
Also Read: Khajoor Benefits
Here are a few ways to include this fibrous food in your diet:
- You can make homemade and healthy bread loaves, muffins, rolls, crepes by using wheat bran. All you need is to replace all-purpose flour (maida) with wheat flour/bran in the recipes.
- If you are stuck on consuming wheat bran, adding it to your cereal’s bowls like oatmeal, cornflakes bowl, etc., is a perfect way out. It makes your breakfast meals healthier and satisfying for the entire day.
- It is a perfect ingredient to make healthy breakfast or evening pancakes for your kids. You can even make chappati with wheat bran to keep your family healthy and in good shape.
- Granola is another one of the best wheat bran uses, which many people do for a nutritious & wholesome breakfast experience.
- It is also a good ingredient like nuts or berries to garnish over or make toppings on your yogurt bowl or puddings or smoothie recipes to make them look more happening and fine to eat.